During the Second World War, in the period following 8 September 1943 and the German occupation, Assisi was literally invaded by refugees, including over 300 Jews. The bishop Msgr. Giuseppe Placido Nicolini transforms Assisi into one of the main centers of the Italian civil resistance to the Holocaust. Disguised as friars and nuns, hidden in the basements and cellars, camouflaged among the displaced, with false documents, the Jews who took refuge in Assisi are protected by a vast network of solidarity that also extends to other areas of Umbria and has contacts, also through the cyclist Gino Bartali, with the Delasem resistance and financing centers in Liguria and Tuscany. The task is difficult. Among the refugees there are women, children, the elderly, the sick, who need care and assistance for their daily needs. A school is even organized where Jewish children can receive Jewish religious education. Thanks also to the complicity of the German colonel Valentin Müller, who will declare Assisi a hospital free zone, no Jew will be deported from Assisi.